Understanding Erectile Dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction is a multifactorial malady.
- In a young man with no other medical problems such as diabetes, the reason for the inability to achieve an erections is most commonly performance anxiety.
- As men age and there are other associated medical conditions and the medicines given to teat those conditions can often cause erectile dysfunction.
- Many medical issues contribute erectile dysfunction to include: diabetes, smoking, hypertension, aging, and prostate surgery for cancer.
- The common denominator for all causes of E.D. is the inability to get enough blood into the penis to sustain an erection.
- All of the non surgical forms of therapy work to facilitate getting sufficient enough blood into the penis to achieve and sustain an erection.
Non Surgical Treatment Options for E.D.
- Oral medicines such as Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, and Stendra.
- Intraurethral pellet therapy such as Muse.
- Vacuum Device therapy.
- Injection therapy
Surgical Correction of E.D.
- A penile prosthesis is them most common surgical correction of E.D.
- There are several types however the most natural prosthesis is an inflatable prosthesis.
- This device can be implanted through a small incision, usually takes between one to two hours and done as an out patient procedure.
- The inflatable device can be deflated when not in use and inflated when desired.
- The urologists of Northeast Georgia Urological Associates have successfully implanted hundreds of prostheses.
- Penile implants can be performed at our Ambulatory Surgery Center assuring a level of privacy not possible at a hospital.
- Northeast Georgia Urological Associates page on penile prosthesis implantation.
The urologists at Northeast Georgia Urological Associates are experienced in all treatment modalities of erectile dysfunction and look forward to helping you with this frustrating issue.